Doctor of Engineering (PhD) (1996) in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Yokohama National University, Yokohama, Japan.
Master of Engineering (1990) in Industrial and Production Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Bachelor of Science in Engineering (1987) in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Key Professional Experience
Head of the Department, Dept. of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Chairman (Chief Executive Officer), Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), Ministry of Shipping, Government of Bangladesh.
Editor, Journal of Mechanical Engineering, & Proceedings of the Annual Paper Meet and International Conference, Mechanical Engineering Division, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh.
Consultant & Lead Panelist, Workshop and Working Group Meeting on “Revival of Inland Water Transport: Options and Strategies”, jointly organized by World Bank and Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority during 27-28 February, 2007, Dhaka Sheraton Hotel, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- FROM JANUARY 2015 to ONWARDS
EMPLOYER : Military Institute of Science & Technology
POSITION HELD : Professor, Dept. of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES : Teaching at undergraduate levels, curriculum development, laboratory development, research, consultancy services, policy planning advice etc.
For more details on Dr. Reaz’s employment, click here.
Research Project/Thesis Supervision
- Project Director : “Optimization of Propulsive Efficiency of Inland Water Crafts of Bangladesh “. The project has been implemented by Dept. of N.A.M.E., and funded by CASR, BUET.
- Co-Director : “Assessment of Flood Damage to the Inland Water Transport Sector “. The project has been implemented by Dept. of N.A.M.E., and funded by CASR, BUET.
- Co-Director: “Manufacturing of Small Sized Fibre and Fabric Reinforced Concrete Boats”. The project has been implemented by National Oceanographic and Maritime Institute, Bangladesh and funded by Grameen Trust, Bangladesh.
- Projector Director: “Design, Manufacturing and Testing of Portable Dredgehead and Dredging System”. The project is being financed by Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of Bangladesh.
- Projector Director: “A Study of Rural Transport Accessibility in a Remote offshore Island: The case of Hatiya”. The project is being financed by University Grants Commission of Bangladesh, Ministry of Education, Govt of Bangladesh.
- Life Cycle Impact Assessment of Alternative Boatbuilding Materials in Bangladesh, April 2005, Dept of Mechanical Engineering, BUET, Dhaka-1000.
- Automatic Hull Form Generation using Neural Nets and Genetic Algorithms, 2000.
- Ship Hull Fairing System Design using a Mathematical Approach with Spline and Bezier Functions, 2000.
- Study of the Behaviour of Free-fall Lifeboats launching in Waves, 2003.
- Design of a Column Testing Machine, 1988-89.
- A Study on the Water Entry of Two Dimensional Bodies, 1996-97.
- Feasibility and Design of a Vehicular Ferry for Bhola-Lakshmipur Route, 1997-98.
- An Investigation on the Design of Body Plan of Ships using Mathematical Approach, 1998-99.
- Cost Estimation of the Parallel Middle Body of a Cargo Vessel, 1999-2000.
- A Comparison of two Methodologies of Cost Estimation of Parallel Middle Body of Vessels, 2000-01.
a) Journal Publications (Abroad):
- Rahaman, M. M., Khondoker, M. R. H. and Rahim, A., “Effectiveness of Bezier Functions for Fairing of Ship Hull Form”, Journal of the Institution of Engineers, India, Vol. 83, pp 27 – 32, January 2003. (Awarded the Gold Medal for the best paper by Institution of Engineers, India, 2003).
- Islam, M. M, A, Khondoker, M. R. H., and Rahman, C. M., “Application of Artificial Intelligence Techniques in Automatic Hull Form Generation”, Ocean Engineering, 28 (2001) 1531-1544, K.
- Khondoker, M. R. H. and Arai, M, “A Comparative Study on the Behaviour of Free-fall Lifeboat Launching from Skid and from Hook”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, England , Vol. 214, Part C (Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science), 2000.
- Khondoker, M. R. H., “Evaluation of the Optimum Parameters of Launching of a Free-fall Lifeboat”, Journal of International Shipbuilding Progress, The Netherlands, Volume 46, No. 447, September, 1999.
- Khondoker, M. R. H. and Rahim, A., “Transport Scenario of Remote Offshore Islands of Bangladesh: Cases of Hatiya and Swandip”, Journal of the International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences, Tokyo, Japan, Vol. 23, No. 1, May, 1999.
- Khondoker, M. R. H, “Effects of Launching Parameters on the Performance of a Free-fall Lifeboat”, Journal of the American Society of Naval Engineers, S.A., Vol. 110, No. 4, July, 1998.
For more details on Dr. Reaz’s publication, click here.
Language & Degree of Proficiency
English and Bangla; Excellent command over both languages
Japanese; Good in conversation, can read and write Furigana and some Kanjis, Arabic; can read well.
Membership of Professional Societies
- Registered Professional Engineer (PEng) with Bangladesh Professional Engineers Registration Board
- Ex-Member, Society of Naval Architects of Japan
- Ex-Member, Kansai Society of Naval Architects of Japan
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh
- Member, Association of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Bangladesh
Dockyard Practice: Completed a 21 days training on design and construction of ships at Dockyard & Engineering Works Ltd, at Narayanganj ,Bangladesh.
Marine Engines and Machinery: Completed a 21 days training on assembling, dismantling, operation and maintenance of different types of engines and workshop machinery at Bangladesh Institute of Marine Technology, Narayanganj, Bangladesh.
Shipyard Practice: Completed a 21 days training on shipbuilding process and different shop activities at Khulna Shipyard Ltd. Khulna, Bangladesh.